A Rare Glimpse

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Elie Wiesel (Holocaust survivor, professor, author of Night [Oprah pick] and countless other books) was a special guest lecturer on campus tonight, and since I couldn't snag a free ticket (sure wish I could have seen him in person), I tuned in on our campus radio station. He gave a really insightful speech, imploring us all to not be indifferent to other people's suffering. One person can make a difference in one other person's life, and it would mean all the world to that one person. Imagine if we all made the effort to help one person...that would be many one persons!! Wiesel also emphasized that with responsibility, there must be response. We all have a responsibility, as Canadians (and Americans) in developed countries, to respond to other people's suffering, to those who can't defend for themselves or speak out in protest.

"Think higher, feel deeper."

This was Wiesel's response to the last audience question, about what students can do to not become indifferent. Pretty good challenge, I think.